Job ID 1281
Experience 8 Years +
Qualifications Degree Bachelor / HND
About Mercy CorpsMercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.The DepartmentNigeria is the most populous country in Africa, and its influence spreads across the continent. Yet, inequality and insecurity have consistently undermined Nigeria’s development. Mercy Corps Nigeria was established in 2012 to respond to these challenges. The Nigeria team is headquartered in Abuja, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), with offices throughout Nigeria. With a strong and growing team, Mercy Corps is currently reaching more than 2 million Nigerians with interventions. With the vision of a Nigeria in which all people are empowered, engaged, resilient and secure, Mercy Corps Nigeria focuses on the root causes of conflict, governance, humanitarian needs, and market systems development. Working with a diverse funding base, Mercy Corps empowers people to recover from crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. We stand with Nigeria to find and access opportunities, and to be part of lasting and meaningful transformation in the country.The PositionThe Infrastructure Quality Assurance Advisor is responsible for ensuring best practice in the design, implementation, and follow up of all infrastructure components of the Mercy Corps portfolio. This includes supporting a culture of accountability to infrastructure minimum standards and best practice. The focus will be on cross-cutting infrastructure systems, ensuring consistency in our approach, supervision, and documentation of all infrastructure. Beyond building systems to support infrastructure quality assurance, the Advisor will play a hands on role at critical moments of program planning, providing surge support to program specific engineers as needed and contributing to design, start-up, and close out functions as they relate to infrastructure elements. Common focus areas of infrastructure for Mercy Corps include water distribution systems (both urban and rural) and public buildings (markets, schools, hospitals, etc). Additional technical support in their area of expertise (e.g. WASH infrastructure) will be leveraged to inform innovations in sustainability and maintenance of infrastructure systems.Essential ResponsibilitiesINFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT
- Establish tracking systems to oversee the status of all infrastructure in the portfolio
- Analyze performance data for infrastructure to identify trends in opportunities and gaps, using lessons learned to inform program pivots and encourage a culture of continuous learning
- Collaborate with the Operations team to track infrastructure contracts, analyze performance trends and identify ways to streamline the process.
- Provide technical contributions to tender processes for infrastructure
- Ensure that project schedule, implementation and procurement plans, budget, and risk register are prepared. Assist infrastructure teams to prepare such documents, as needed
- Onboard both contracted and full time employed engineers to Mercy Corps Infrastructure expectations and act as a mentor and guide for career growth
- Create a community of practice among engineers on staff, encouraging a culture of cross-team learning
- Any other duties as required
INFRASTRUCTURE QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Review and provide feedback and follow up for drawings and specifications prepared by design firms and in-house engineers
- Develop a system for spot checks on portfolio infrastructure, both during and after construction
- Develop the resources (tools, trainings, etc) needed for teams to implement and exceed on the infrastructure minimum standards and conduct program audits, supporting corrective actions where needed
- Collaborate with Mercy Corps’ Senior Infrastructure Delivery Manager (ST WASH) and Global Infrastructure team to ensure application of all minimum standards, technical consultation where relevant, and information flow to/from global.
- Where necessary, provide surge support to program infrastructure components. This can include but is not limited to:
- Provide workflow management to implementing teams and contractors
- Support to contractor management, design review, etc.
- Site reviews
- Develop and implement program specific, site specific QA plans and ensure implementation